Quick brain dump on themes:
1. Some random theme ideas. I don't have time to work on these at the
moment; feel free to steal them.
- Imperfect: WordPerfect DOS (bright white text on a blue (#0000FF)
background -- use with imitation DOS font for best effect)
- God Save Brand X: Standard BBEdit colors
- Merchandise No. 5: Coca-Cola colors (white on red -- really bad
for the eyes, I suspect)
2. Observation: preprocessor highlighting (heavily used with C/C++/
ObjC) is missing from most of the themes that I haven't touched.
3. I prefer a solid white background, but this is likely because I
started programming on the Mac rather than on a dumb terminal or DOS.
I sometimes use the dark themes, mainly to admire the artistry of the
color selection. Also, I try to test syntax modifications with all
4. SaintEdit had a unique feature I haven't seen anywhere else. It
had two coordinated built-in themes, one light and one dark. You
could set it to automatically use the dark theme at night and switch
to the light theme during the day.
5. Dark theme authors: why are all of your comment colors dark gray
on black? Do you not wish to read comments? Are your monitors broken,
or what? How disturbing. </king-of-all-cosmos>
6. TextMate might benefit from grouping themes into categories:
"Light", "Dark", "Retro",
7. I like your mint theme. (But see item 5 above.)
On Sep 11, 2005, at 11:57 AM, thomas Aylott wrote:
Hello, my name is Thomas.
And I am addicted to making textMate themes.
Please feed my addiction by suggesting theme ideas.
I have been told that my themes make peoples eyes bleed. They are
obviously of limited use, therefore.
If people seriously want a certain theme, I WILL make it (eventually).
I've got a process down now that's really quick.
I WANT TO KNOW:
Who uses what theme in textMate?
What themes have you used from previous systems or applications?
visual studio? dreamweaver? bbedit? foo.app?
Do you like them?
Do you want an 'expert designer' to tell you what you should like?
<insert canned laughter here>
Do you have bad taste and should be ignored? <again.. haha>
Do you like black backgrounds? Do you like colored backgrounds?
Do you hate excessive use of background colors? ...for the
page? ...for individual elements?
Do you like high contrast? Do you prefer lower contrast?
Do you like having a bunch of different colors or would you prefer
one with shades of only a few colors?
What colors do you like? Please give examples.
Do you have synisthesia? Are certain elements 'supposed' to be a
What languages do you want to have colored?
Do you want different languages to have different colors?
Please provide example screen shots (or links to them to keep from
clogging the list) if at all possible.
Thank you for 'enabling' my habit ;D
For new threads USE THIS: textmate(a)lists.macromates.com
(threading gets destroyed and the universe will collapse if you don't)