[TxMt] Re: Cancelling a multiple selection?

Kai Wood lists at kwood.eu
Wed May 13 15:24:40 UTC 2015

On 13.05.2015, at 17:05, Igor <me at igorkozlov.me> wrote:

> I wonder though what’s so wrong with pressing ↑↓ or ↓↑ to disable multiple carets. This way it’s easy to predict what’ll happen.

It’s inconsistent and depends on your position in the document. If you are on line 1, you hit the top of the document and your cursors lands on line 2. If you start on line 2, your final position is on line 2.

Additionally, with this technique the cursor stops *behind* the current word, not at the position where you started.

That’s the cognitive overhead Tom was taking about, you have to actually think about it / watch where your cursor is.

> But what should happen when you have multiple carets and press your magic “cancel all carets” key? Which is that one caret that should stay?

The first cursor in the document has to stay. ^w selects downwards in the document, so the first one is the the place where you start and end.