[TxMt] Re: Weird latexmk error when compiling

René Schwaiger sanssecours at f-m.fm
Sun Jan 25 08:01:09 UTC 2015

Hi Jim,

> On 24 Jan 2015, at 22:14 , Starx <jstarx at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I occasionally get log output such as that I've posted below.  The pdf is not updated, but both the dvi and ps file are correctly compiled.  TeXShop correctly compiles using pdflatex.  Occasionally latexmk will decide to use pdflatex and everything will work correctly.  I don't really know what's happening with ps2pdf and what it means by "stable files" and I'm not sure if this error is caused by a bug in latexmk or maybe some error in the configuration info given to latexmk by textmate.
>
> Does the latex bundle have any control over whether latexmk uses pdflatex or regular latex?

you can specify the engine to typeset in the preferences of the LaTeX bundle (Bundles→LaTeX→Preferences…). Another way is to use a tex directive at the top of your (master) file:

	%!TEX TS-program = pdflatex

The tex directive will tell `texmate` to always use `pdflatex` as typesetting engine, regardless of the value of “Default Engine” inside Preferences.

`texmate` also changes the value of the typesetting engine if there is no tex directive and it detects certain packages that can only be used with a certain engine. That behaviour might be the one you encountered. Maybe you used a certain package that only works with `pdflatex` or `latex`. Here is a list of engines and the packages that require them:

    latex: pstricks, xyling, pst-asr, OTtablx, epsfig
    xelatex: xunicode, fontspec
    lualatex: luacode

> -Jim

Kind regards,