[TxMt] Re: Textmate 2: Disable auto closing of tabs

Ed Wong scampy at me.com
Tue May 27 15:23:06 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Ed Wong <scampy at me.com> wrote:
it’s how I’ve always kept track of which files I’ve edited during development that I’ll need to move to production when the feature/bug is done.

Probably not the place for this, but you really should be using a version control system for this. Git commit,and git push locally, then git pull on the server and your changes are there. Even if you don't have access to a git/svn/etc server and it's a private project (so you can't use github) you can still use git locally to track your development.

Thanks for the tip George. I do use Git on occasion, mostly when the project is a team effort or when I use Xcode and when Git is available on the production servers.

In other cases, particularly with legacy servers. Git or any other code repository is not an option unfortunately.

Not using Git locally is mostly out of habits that I’ve developed over the past 35 years. (I’m not really that old but started coding when I was 13… ok I’m old).

Plus I’ve had some bad experiences with damaged or lost files due to Git commands gone wild, merges, reset, revert etc. probably due to newbie misunderstanding on what the command actually does on my part.

Maybe I’ll fully convert to Git if I can’t keep track of files my usual way.

Ed Wong