[TxMt] Re: Combine Favorites & Files into one panel?

Kai Wood lists at kwood.eu
Tue Jun 24 11:33:03 UTC 2014

> Not sure if we can drop favorites — to be honest, this is a somewhat arcane feature and recent projects works better, main advantage of favorites is that they are always there, but could allow pinning recent projects/files, and also that the list can be initially populated (I sync my projects between machines and use a “folder symlink” for favorites, so it list all my projects).
>
> Anyone have thoughts about this?

Stopped using Favorites completely after Recent Projects was introduced. Not sure if the two panels should be combined. One is file centric, the other one for folders.

I often quickly open another project to search for, e.g., a code snippet. If they where combined, I would have to press ⌘-T, ⌘-4, search for project name, ⌘-T, ⌘-1, search for file, ⌘-⇧-W - and for the next file I open in my project would be ⌘-T, ⌘-1 again to get back to the file search.

4 additional keys for the same task. But the bigger problem I see is the mental model where I have to check in which kind of ⌘-T-mode I am every time I use it. I almost never use “Open Documents” or “Uncommited Documents” for the same reason. As long as I don’t switch modes, ⌘-T is always “one finger tip” away – which is a good thing.