[TxMt] Re: TextMate & TextMate 2 trigger "high performance" graphics

Sun Jul 21 15:07:53 UTC 2013

On 19 Jul 2013, at 21:19, Joost Schuttelaar wrote:

> […] Just a FYI. Would be nice to 'fix' (saves a bit of power). But
> I'm curious what triggers this behavior.

I am curious as well, it’s likely because we link with some (system)
framework. We had this problem in the past, that if the user would bring
up the (system) open dialog, it switched, and would never switch back.
The fix for that was setting a key in TextMate’s Info.plist.

> As far as I know I haven't seen any animations or anything that
> couldn't be easily handled by the internal graphics. It happens right
> away after launch, an empty edit window is enough.

But you do have to actually open the window (you can set it to not open
windows on startup in Preferences)? Once I get Mavericks I can test this
myself, should be easier.

Unfortunately I’m in a jurisdiction where Apple has to manually review
membership renewels, and while I did pay twice and got charged once,
their support staff did not manage to actually “ship” the developer
program membership (despite my emails), so I’m in no hurry to go
through that process again…

> OT: Wow, I just realized that I've been using TextMate now for almost
> 9 years (Oct 2004). How time flies. Except for searching within big
> projects the editor always felt 'new' and slick, and I've upgraded to
> TM2 only last week. It has been good for me, with hours of usage
> nearly every day. And TM2 has been doing quite well thus far. Well
> done :)

Thanks, hopefully you’ll find the project search much improved in! :)
Although it really should be made to use more than one thread for the
search process, so that a single big file won’t block the incremental
results.