[TxMt] TextMate & TextMate 2 trigger "high performance" graphics

Joost Schuttelaar joost at greenskin.net
Fri Jul 19 19:19:06 UTC 2013

TextMate (both 1 and 2) for some reason makes my MBP (Mid-2010) use the discrete graphics card. In OS X 10.9 we are going to get a nice dialog which shows the apps that use 'significant energy'. TextMate is listed amongst them (see screenshot).

Just a FYI. Would be nice to 'fix' (saves a bit of power). But I'm curious what triggers this behavior. As far as I know I haven't seen any animations or anything that couldn't be easily handled by the internal graphics. It happens right away after launch, an empty edit window is enough.

OT: Wow, I just realized that I've been using TextMate now for almost 9 years (Oct 2004). How time flies. Except for searching within big projects the editor always felt 'new' and slick, and I've upgraded to TM2 only last week. It has been good for me, with hours of usage nearly every day. And TM2 has been doing quite well thus far. Well done :)

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL