[TxMt] Re: TextMate typesetting problems

Mon Dec 30 04:52:26 UTC 2013

On 29 Dec 2013, at 22:05, T. Zha wrote:

> Default Engine: latex
> […] error number 256 opening viewer
> When I set “Default Engine: pdflatex”,  TextMate works […]
> Note that it can generate a valid .ps file, but fails to generate a
> .pdf file.

I’m no expert in these things, so take it with a grain of salt, but is
there a reason you want to use “latex” as engine?

I believe most people moved to “pdflatex” because it generates the
pdf directly, which can then be opened by Preview and many other apps.

The (older/raw) “latex” engine is for generating a .dvi file which
is sort of a bitmap representation from which a .ps can be generated,
but .ps files can’t easily be shown on OS X (and that is likely why
you get the viewer error) and they look like crap if converted to .pdf
(at least back when I used latex).