[TxMt] Re: TextMate typesetting problems

T. Zha zmail at tzha.net
Mon Dec 30 21:09:08 UTC 2013

I need latex as engine because it can typeset .eps graph files.  The eps graphs have much better resolution than pdf graphs.  Do you think any other way to typeset the file embedded with eps graphs?  Thanks.

----

On 29 Dec 2013, at 22:05, T. Zha wrote:

> Default Engine: latex
> […] error number 256 opening viewer
> When I set “Default Engine: pdflatex”,  TextMate works […]
> Note that it can generate a valid .ps file, but fails to generate a .pdf file.

I’m no expert in these things, so take it with a grain of salt, but is there a reason you want to use “latex” as engine?

I believe most people moved to “pdflatex” because it generates the pdf directly, which can then be opened by Preview and many other apps.

The (older/raw) “latex” engine is for generating a .dvi file which is sort of a bitmap representation from which a .ps can be generated, but .ps files can’t easily be shown on OS X (and that is likely why you get the viewer error) and they look like crap if converted to .pdf (at least back when I used latex).