[TxMt] Re: latex bundle - where are fonts stored?

Niels Kobschaetzki n.kobschaetzki at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 23 17:38:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Lucy Buykx <lucy at buykx.com> wrote:

> On 23 Mar 2010, at 17:10, Yan Zhou wrote:
>
>> I suggest you should consult the TUG (Tex User Group) mail list. This is really not a TextMate thing nor a LaTeX bundle thing. Installing and using package has nothing to do with TextMate or LaTeX bundle. They merely provide a excellent way for editing latex source file.
>>

> Can you confirm that the LaTeX bundle in TextMate provides support for writing source code, compiling and producing PDF output, but provides ZERO support for adding new packages?

Well, actually it just automates that for you. It uses stuff that is
installed with a TeX-distribution. AFAIK it doesn't install packages
and I do not know any other editor w/ TeX-syntax highlighting it does.
I have TeX Live installed and I use usually "TeX Live Utility.app" for
that. Before that it was downloading and installing packages  by hand.

>> There are dozens of ways to check which tex you are using.
>>
>> In terminal, try
>>
>> tex -version
>>
>> or
>>
>> latex -version
>>

> Have found that I do have a folder called /usr/local/texlive - MacOS Finder helpfully hides this so I was unable to see it before. However neither "tex" or "latex" are recognised as commands.

Then your path-variables are probably not set.
How did you install TeX in the first place? I suggest you download
MacTeX and install that. http://www.tug.org/mactex/downloading.html

That installs TeX Live and installs some graphical utilities (like the
above mentioned "TeX Live Utility" as well).

>> Most mac users nowadays use MacTeX, aka, TeXLive. If you find "TeX Distribution" in the System preference panel, then you are using it and you can check which distribution is in use.
>>

> Here's a screen shot of my system preferences - where would I go look for Tex Distribution?

It's a pref by itself - pretty obvious in the third party-line of
system preferences.

But I suggest you subscribe to "OS X TeX":
http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/index.php?title=TeX_on_Mac_OS_X_mailing_list
because it's getting more and more offtopic by the minute for this
list.

Niels