[TxMt] Re: Pointing TM's ri / rdoc lookup at a non-standard directory

Robert Poor rdpoor at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 19:23:13 UTC 2010

Hi Christopher:

On 2010Jun05, at 06:10, Christopher Creutzig wrote:

> On 6/5/10 3:55 AM, Robert Poor wrote:
>
>> In my development machine I have carefully built versions of ruby
>> 1.9.1, rails, ri, rdoc, all of my gems, etc in a sandboxed directory
>> (~/Development/Ruby/bin/*), and I've left the Mac OS X standard
>> distributions alone.
>
> Try adding that directory (probably better with its real name, i.e.,
> not using the tilde, but /Users/whatever/Development/Ruby/bin/) to
> your
> PATH variable inside TextMate's Preferences/Advanced/Shell Variables
> tab, in front of whatever you already have. If there is no entry yet,
> use whatever “echo $PATH” says inside a terminal session where your
> ri command works.

I had already tried setting PATH, but it doesn't work either -- I
think I see why.  The known "good" $PATH is:

Users/r/Development/Ruby/bin:/Users/r/Development/Rails/bin:/usr/local/
mysql/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/
sbin:~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

After I set PATH in the preferences/advanced/shell variables to the
above string, TM shows that it has prepended some of its own
directories to the PATH variable:

echo $PATH^r
/Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/bin/
CocoaDialog.app/Contents/MacOS:/usr/local/git/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/
local/sbin:/Users/r/Development/Ruby/bin:/Users/r/Development/Rails/
bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/
usr/sbin:/sbin:~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/
Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/bin

I can see why -- TextMate needs to keep some of its special
directories in the path.  But since /opt/local/sbin now appears
BEFORE /Users/r/Development/Ruby/bin, it is (I believe) finding the
wrong ri.  When I try ^h on a function name, I get:

/Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/
web_preview.rb:101: warning: mismatched indentations at 'end' with
'if' at 98
ri Command Error.

... and I don't see a way to get /Users/r/Development/Ruby/bin
*before* the TextMate-imposed /usr/local/sbin.  (I suppose I could
create relevant links /usr/local/sbin, but that would defeat the
purpose of building the sandbox in the first place -- I want my own
configuration, and I don't want to mess with the Apple-supplied
standard version.)

Suggestions?

On 2010Jun05, at 06:10, Christopher Creutzig wrote:

> On 6/5/10 3:55 AM, Robert Poor wrote:
>
>> In my development machine I have carefully built versions of ruby
>> 1.9.1, rails, ri, rdoc, all of my gems, etc in a sandboxed directory
>> (~/Development/Ruby/bin/*), and I've left the Mac OS X standard
>> distributions alone.
>
> Try adding that directory (probably better with its real name, i.e.,
> not using the tilde, but /Users/whatever/Development/Ruby/bin/) to
> your
> PATH variable inside TextMate's Preferences/Advanced/Shell Variables
> tab, in front of whatever you already have. If there is no entry yet,
> use whatever “echo $PATH” says inside a terminal session where your ri
> command works.
>
>> echo $PATH^r =>
>> /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/bin/
>> CocoaDialog.app/Contents/MacOS:/usr/local/git/bin:/opt/local/bin:/
>> opt/
>
> Right. Don't forget to include the directories including
> /Applications/TextMate.app/ into whatever new PATH definition you set.
>

> HTH,
> 	Christopher

--:
Robert Poor
e:	robert.poor at nbt-ventures.com
p:	+1 617 818 5115
--:
This message and the information it contains are the proprietary and
confidential property of NBT Ventures and may be privileged. If you
are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, disclose or
distribute its contents to any party, and notify the sender immediately.
--: