[TxMt] Re: Pointing TM's ri / rdoc lookup at a non-standard directory

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Sat Jun 5 15:31:09 UTC 2010

Christopher Creutzig
<christopher at creutzig.de> wrote:

> On 6/5/10 3:55 AM, Robert Poor wrote:
>
> > In my development machine I have carefully built versions of ruby
> > 1.9.1, rails, ri, rdoc, all of my gems, etc in a sandboxed directory
> > (~/Development/Ruby/bin/*), and I've left the Mac OS X standard
> > distributions alone.
>
>  Try adding that directory (probably better with its real name, i.e.,
> not using the tilde, but /Users/whatever/Development/Ruby/bin/) to your
> PATH variable inside TextMate's Preferences/Advanced/Shell Variables
> tab, in front of whatever you already have. If there is no entry yet,
> use whatever "echo $PATH" says inside a terminal session where your ri
> command works.
>
> > echo $PATH^r =>
> > /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/bin/
> > CocoaDialog.app/Contents/MacOS:/usr/local/git/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/
>
>  Right. Don't forget to include the directories including
> /Applications/TextMate.app/ into whatever new PATH definition you set.

But will this actually cause ^h to start working? On my machine, TM's ^h
for Ruby has been broken for years (because it relies on fastri, which
as far as I can tell is no longer supported because the ri format has
changed). I just assumed it was broken for everyone. Are you saying that
^h still works for you? m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!