[TxMt] Re: How does Git bundle choose what to commit?

Wed Mar 11 09:56:35 UTC 2009

On 11 Mar 2009, at 08:31, Thorsten Hamann wrote:

> FWIW, the Subversion bundle works exactly the same way. If you commit
> from a text file, it only tries to commit said text file; if you
> want to
>  commit a folder or the whole project, you have to click the
> appropriate place in the project pane.

But if you have no selection in the project drawer, the Subversion
bundle commits the entire project. This is also what my patch to the
Git bundle introduces.

> That said, I'd suggest something else - why not make the menu item
> "commit" automatically commit the whole project and add a new menu
> item
> "commit this file only"? I figure most people will want to commit all
> pending changes at once most of the time, and if you need to only
> commit
> the single file, you can still do so.

As I wrote in the commit message for the patch I linked to, with the
behavior I introduced in the Git bundle, and the current Subversion
bundle behavior, you press ⌃⌘R first (to select the current file)
then commit (which commits just that single file).

The behavior about using selection in drawer, falling back on project
folder, falling back on current file, is the way I want all bundles to
behave. Though I have not made any serious effort to advocate it since
in 1.x you have to manually unselect the file for this to be ideal (or
have the folder with the file you switch to collapsed), but in 2.0 TM
won’t do any automatic selection in the file browser, making this
suggested behavior rational.