[TxMt] Re: How does Git bundle choose what to commit?

Thorsten Hamann textmate at thisisnotamerica.de
Wed Mar 11 07:31:14 UTC 2009

Allan, Dr. Drang,

FWIW, the Subversion bundle works exactly the same way. If you commit
from a text file, it only tries to commit said text file; if you want to
  commit a folder or the whole project, you have to click the
appropriate place in the project pane.

So the git bundle behaves just like the Subversion bundle, which is both
good because it's consistent and bad because obviously people get
confused (I got confused by that, too). Whatever changes you make to the
git bundle, should also be made to the Subversion bundle or else you end
up with the versioning bundles behaving all differently.

That said, I'd suggest something else - why not make the menu item
"commit" automatically commit the whole project and add a new menu item
"commit this file only"? I figure most people will want to commit all
pending changes at once most of the time, and if you need to only commit
the single file, you can still do so.

Any thoughts from the list?

Thorsten
--
Jesus saves. Buddha makes incremental backups.