[TxMt] Re: Project expanded/collapsed folder state

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jul 8 19:50:31 UTC 2009

On Jul 8, 2009, at 10:23 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 4 Jul 2009, at 19:23, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> I have also wondered this and never found a solution. Code folding is
>> the main area I would like to figure out how to save state.
>>
>> I spent a lot of time in one file folding chunks of code how I
>> wanted.
>> I saved, closed, and opened the file; all fold points were lost.
>>
>> Would it ever be possible to save this state when working live over
>> FTP or SSH? [...]
>
> TextMate saves folding info using extended attributes.

Nice to know, thanks.  Any chance you would be willing to explore
a .directory that holds these attributes as a preference, that would
also store those on remote machines that do not support extended
attributes?

> If you use ExpanDrive or similar, they do support xattr, but I don’t
> think they store it on the remote server.

Expandrive was and is far too broken for me to be able to use it on a
regular basis.

> If you use a dedicated (s)ftp application with “Edit in TextMate” they
> download the file, ask TextMate to edit it, and then upload it again.
> It would be up to this (s)ftp application to preserve the extended
> attributes of the file (e.g. upload it to the server).

Ok, baring you being willing to look at storing extended attr data
such as this somehow in a hidden and transparent way, I will look at
talk to ftp app makers to see what they can do.

Thanks Allan.