[TxMt] Re: windows-1250 encoding

Andreas Schöller mcbokassa at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 28 08:29:13 UTC 2009

Am 27.04.2009 um 23:07 schrieb running:

> ISO-8859-1 is different from Windows-1250, some of the czech letters
> appear weird - for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ø instead of
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ř
>
> Right now, when I get file like that, I need to
> 1) open it in TextMate, only to find out I cannot open it
> 2) open TextEdit, open the file in TextEdit, re-save it in UTF8
> 3) open it in TextMate again, swearing on all sides
>
> I personally find this procedure stupid and I would love to have the
> opportunity to, at least, open the file in Windows-1250 and convert it
> to UTF8 and not having to start another text editor.

Hello Karel,

i have to work  with legacy frequently and agree it's annoying. If
there's no chance to convince the supplier of these documents to
switch to UTF-8, then u might google for a Bundle that was done by
Hans-Jörg Bibiko to read/convert such files in one step. If i remember
correctly, this bundle made use of the iconv-command, which is present
on every osx. U could q&d roll your own 'drag-command' with iconv to
import and convert in one step.

greets andreas