[TxMt] windows-1250 encoding

running running.cz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 21:07:36 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have read this page
http://blog.macromates.com/2005/handling-encodings-utf-8/ and I use
UTF8 wherever I can. But, sometimes I have to open czech text-files,
made on MS Windows (not made by me), that are, almost without
exception, in "Central European (Windows Latin)", or,  Windows 1250 (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1250 ).

ISO-8859-1 is different from Windows-1250, some of the czech letters
appear weird - for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ø instead of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ř

Right now, when I get file like that, I need to
1) open it in TextMate, only to find out I cannot open it
2) open TextEdit, open the file in TextEdit, re-save it in UTF8
3) open it in TextMate again, swearing on all sides

I personally find this procedure stupid and I would love to have the
opportunity to, at least, open the file in Windows-1250 and convert it
to UTF8 and not having to start another text editor.

Karel Bilek