[TxMt] Foreign Language Bundles; specifically Latin

Hans-Joerg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Mon Mar 10 09:36:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

unfortunately I do not see the point here, but please let me note
something.

On 9 Mar 2008, at 23:15, Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 10:51 PM, Steven Harms
> <sgharms at stevengharms.com> wrote:
>> In my experience that glyph ( chosen by opt-a + vowel ) when
>> inserted in
>> HTML does not port - when viewed in a web page it tends to come up
>> as a '?'
>> or something similar whereas the unicode value does port.
> Did you uesd the meta-tag for telling the browser that you are using
> UTF-8 and saved your file in UTF-8 as well?
If one sets the HTML page to utf-8, one will see it correctly.

>> So, in theory i could extend the "Convert HTML to Entities" code
>> and augment
>> it to support macron-ized vowels.
What do you mean? If I write ā in an HTML doc and if I convert it to
Entities I get &#x101;. Fine. The same also for combining diacritics.

>> Latin, in modern text, makes use of macron ( bars over letters ).
>>
>> The best way to render these glyphs, I have found, is to use the
>> glyphs-description in the LaTeX set, e.g. \={u} produces a little
>> u with a bar over it.
>>
>> Typing in 5 strokes just to produce that glyph is pretty painful,
>> so i wrote a bundle called "Latin Student".  The bulk of of these
>> features were along the lines of ^u producing the aforegiven LaTeX
>> set.

In LaTeX I'm using:
\usepackage{ucs}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\section{Introduction}
āēĕ

ucs is a tiny Unicode package which allows to write accented
characters directly into an uft-8 document (without \={u}). Thus, for
me at least, there is no need to reinvent the wheel twice. ucs can be
installed by using fink "sudo fink install unicode-tex" if one is
using tetex. Of course, it has some limitations but to write the
Latin long vowel or Roomaji it is fine, I mean.

Or did I misunderstand something wrong?

--Hans