[TxMt] LaTeX - opening PDFs

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 03:44:40 UTC 2008

On Jan 9, 2008, at 10:09 PM, Paul McCann wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I can confirm the behaviour Keith described: for me it's evident
> when I
>
> 1. start in directory "x" and create a simple "article.tex" using
> the article template in TextMate
> 2. create a "deeper" directory in "x" and create another "
> article.tex" file within "x/deeper". Add a simple line of text to
> distinguish the two outputs.
> 3. open up directory "x" in TextMate
>
> The processing works fine the first time (eg on "x/article.tex"),
> but on processing "x/deeper/article.tex" nothing changes in the
> previewer, and it's not brought to the front. Similarly a click on
> the button "View in ((name of preview app))" in the web output
> window produces no change (and no change of focus). I tried with
> both Skim and TeXShop as previewer.
>
> I did have a poke around in the latex processing scripts, but am
> probably a bit out of my depth here. The one thing that looks a bit
> suspicious is that "refreshViewer(viewer,pdfFile)" in texMate.py
> seems to use the filename, rather than the path of the file to send
> the osascript to refresh the view. In "Skim" for example, the
> command reads (in essence):
>
>  tell application "Skim" to revert document "filename"
>
> instead of something like
>
>  tell application "Skim" to revert (every document whose path is "/
> path/to/article.pdf")
>
> (I'll contain my hatred of Applescript to this set of brackets...)
> Is that the command in your version Haris?

Now I am really confused. I am looking at texMate.py, and I am not
seeing neither a refreshViewer method, nor any mention of any
applescript terms.  In my version, /usr/bin/open is used, on line
111, in a method called run_viewer. In which lines of texMate.py
exactly are the applescript calls supposed to be at?

> If it is I'm surprised it could work with two identically named
> files unless the act of refreshing was somehow changing the order
> in which they were indexed. Anyway, I hope this might give someone
> else a key to fixing the issue. It's also possible that I'm
> misreading the chain of command(s).
>
> Cheers,
> Paul (happy user of the latex system in TextMate for quite some
> time now!)

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College