[TxMt] Re: TextMate 2, I give it up

Fri Aug 8 08:35:33 UTC 2008

On 8 Aug 2008, at 01:31, Gleb Dolgich wrote:

> How about not moaning constantly and making Allan waste his time and
> nerves reading and replying to silly threads titled "When is
> TextMate 2 coming out?"
>
> Sorry guys, couldn't resist.
>
> --
> Gleb

People do have a right to ask what is going on with a product that has
been announced. It would be different if people were always bugging
him to request him to write a new version. They're not. They're asking
for more information on a product they love, where an announcement has
been made that a new version is in development. The fact that the
thread comes up again and again is a sign that there is an active and
passionate community around this software that is constantly being
renewed. This is very positive in my mind, and I would imagine a lot
of developers would be very envious of the involvement and passion
that TextMate inspires in its users.

I think the tone of this thread has been overwhelmingly helpful and
positive, but as a number of people have said, with no real info
coming out about the update people may start to look elsewhere.
TextMate 2 might be a month away or it could be two years away -
that's fine, it's Allan's project and he can take as long as he likes
to do it how he wants. However, I don't think people asking (politely,
constructively and helpfully) how progress is coming along is either a
waste of his time or his nerves to be fair.

Nigel