[TxMt] Japanese Translation of TM Manual with Caution

Takaaki Kato devlist at samuraicoder.net
Wed May 16 16:16:00 UTC 2007

Hi TextMaters,

I recently started to translate TextMate manual into Japanese.
Subversion repository is located at http://macromates.com/svn/Bundles/
trunk/Manual/pages .
`en` directory is a Markdown version of Allan's original manual,
which I use as a source of translation and as a template. We can,
therefore, expect the same look of the translation, sharing the same
graphics and layout if Allan can tweak his script a bit.

`ja` is used for the translation. Except for a `_read_me.mdown` file,
the directory will have the same file names. My plan is to translate
the all contents quickly but roughly, and polish the translation
later on. At the moment, there's no way to *compile* a book from the
files. (Note: I haven't even translated 5% of the Manual yet.)

**Caution**
TextMate doesn't support CJK at this moment. Users including those
who use [Fake CJK Support](http://macromates.com/blog/archives/
2006/11/09/faking-cjk-support/) are encouraged *not* to open files
other than `_read_me` file in the directory with TextMate. TextMate
or the entire system may hang. You may be able to open, but
converting the Markdown to HTML may also be a cause of this hang.
 From my personal experience, handling lots of CJK text prones to
this issue.

Since I can't find anyone else who is using TextMate with a large set
of Japanese text, the problem may be personal. But for now, my
suggestion is that you not use TextMate to open the files. I get a
few emails saying I'm putting virus, but .mdown files are just plain
text files.

Takaaki
--
Takaaki Kato