[TxMt] Unicode Documents in LaTeX

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Wed May 16 22:42:33 UTC 2007

Yeah I can't compile it either. If you have XeLaTeX installed, you
might try to use it. To do that, add the following as the first line
in your file:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex

and remove the inputenc line. I actually don't have xelatex installed
personally, so I can't really test this either. But if you have it or
install it, then you should be able to make that work. As Allan said,
LaTeX is a bit picky about what characters it allows.

Another thing you can do is use the babel file, and write in
"greeklish", like in the attached file, which should compile for you
just fine. Not ideal I know, though it allows you to easily switch
between english and greek text (look at the babel package for more
info. Invest in a copy of the LaTeX Companion, 2nd edition, if you
don't already have it. If you do, look at chapter 9.)

It should probably not be too difficult to write a small Ruby script
to convert from Greek to Greeklish and back, which might make things
a bit better, i.e. you could write in Greek and then at the last
moment convert things over to Greeklish. Of course we would need to
be careful and make sure it skips commands etc. But if XeLaTeX is an
option for you, I'd go with that.