[TxMt] Is the following pdfsync-instruction right?

Mark Eli Kalderon eli at markelikalderon.com
Thu May 10 13:01:20 UTC 2007

On May 10 2007, at 13:12, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On May 10, 2007, at 7:13 AM, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Skim (skim-app.sourceforge.net), a very neat and free pdf-viewer
>> supports now pdfsync and they set up a wiki with some instructions
>> how to enable Skim as viewer for pdfsync in Textmate. But I think
>> the instructions are more complex than they should be.
>>
>> The site is: http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/
>> LaTeX_and_PDFSync
>>
>> Isn't it even in the standard-install of TextMate only necessary
>> to set the Shell Variable TM_LATEX_VIEWER to Skim?
>>
> No, the LaTeX and View, and the other sync command, need to make an
> extra call if the viewer supports pdfsync. Currently we are only
> handling TeXniscope and PDFView, but I think we should be able to
> add Skim to the list.
>
> I haven't tried Skim, what are its advantages over PDFView?

One reason TextMate should support Skim out of the box is that there
is evidence that development of PDFView may halt. On the Sourceforge
tracker, Andrea Bergia, PDFView’s developer, writes:[1]
> Hello, I am the developer of PDFView, an application which seems
> superseded by your wonderful Skim in many regards. I actually plan
> to use it as my default PDF reader…
Best, Mark

[1]: <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?%
20func=detail&aid=1693191&group_id=192583&atid=941984>