[TxMt] Is the following pdfsync-instruction right?

Niels Kobschätzki n.kobschaetzki at googlemail.com
Thu May 10 12:21:50 UTC 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 2:12 PM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On May 10, 2007, at 7:13 AM, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Skim (skim-app.sourceforge.net), a very neat and free pdf-viewer
>> supports now pdfsync and they set up a wiki with some instructions
>> how to enable Skim as viewer for pdfsync in Textmate. But I think
>> the instructions are more complex than they should be.
>>
>> The site is: http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/
>> LaTeX_and_PDFSync
>>
>> Isn't it even in the standard-install of TextMate only necessary
>> to set the Shell Variable TM_LATEX_VIEWER to Skim?
>>
> No, the LaTeX and View, and the other sync command, need to make an
> extra call if the viewer supports pdfsync. Currently we are only
> handling TeXniscope and PDFView, but I think we should be able to
> add Skim to the list.

Good to know :)

> I haven't tried Skim, what are its advantages over PDFView?

As a general PDF-viewer its advantage is that you can highlight text
and add notes to pdfs which aren't embedded in the file itself (like
Preview does it) but in the metadata of the file (which is great but
makes some problems when you copy it over to another computer - but
there are workarounds for it which are directly embedded in Skim).

Niels