[TxMt] Re: Spell checking using Google

Hans-Jörg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Thu May 3 22:08:00 UTC 2007

On 03.05.2007, at 21:42, Jacob Rus wrote:

> Allan Odgaard wrote:
>>> - If a text is selected meaning at least one space is in it the
>>> command only returns a snippet of misspelled word without any
>>> changes. After that you can navigate with TAB through the snippet
>>> (misspelled words) and if you find a really misspelled word you
>>> can invoke the command again and so forth.
>> Yes, this is probably a desired behavior most of the time.
>
> Hmm, two points about "invoke the command again and so forth."
>
> 1. I believe google's spellcheck takes the context of the word into
> account when deciding what the correct word is.  So popping up a
> list only for particular words is probably not the greatest idea.

Well, I believe it should but up to now I couldn't find an example
for such a context spell checking behaviour. If you find such a
behaviour, please let it me know.

It seems to me that Google's suggestions are based on the following:
If the word is not in the Google's corpus it will allow exact one
operation on it, meaning deletion, inserting, or replacing of one
character to get a word which is in the corpus. The output is sorted
according to these operations, I guess.

> 2. As soon as a command is run on one of the tab stop misspelled
> words, all the other snippet tab stops are lost.
Not in this case. The script distinguishes whether a text is sent or
a single word. If text - output a snippet; if word - output replace
text. By doing so it won't destroy the other snippet tab stops.

Hans