[TxMt] Re: Spell checking using Google

Jacob Rus jacobolus at gmail.com
Thu May 3 22:41:48 UTC 2007

Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:
> On 03.05.2007, at 21:42, Jacob Rus wrote:
>> 1. I believe google's spellcheck takes the context of the word into
>> account when deciding what the correct word is.  So popping up a list
>> only for particular words is probably not the greatest idea.
>
> Well, I believe it should but up to now I couldn't find an example for
> such a context spell checking behaviour. If you find such a behaviour,
> please let it me know.
>
> It seems to me that Google's suggestions are based on the following:
> If the word is not in the Google's corpus it will allow exact one
> operation on it, meaning deletion, inserting, or replacing of one
> character to get a word which is in the corpus. The output is sorted
> according to these operations, I guess.

No, I think you are pretty clearly wrong about that.  As an example, if
you spell check "rought with", the first suggestion will be "wrought",
as "wrought with «foo»" is a commonly-used construction.  If you replace
"with" with some other word, the suggestion will change, and in most
cases will be "rough", instead.

In fact, in every example that I tried, Google figured out the intended
word from context.  I don't know their exact algorithm, but it clearly
takes neighboring words into account.

-Jacob