[TxMt] TextMate & LaTeX via MacPorts

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Sat Mar 17 01:29:42 UTC 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 6:41 PM, Christopher W. MacMinn wrote:

>> puts `which kpsewhich`
>> puts `. /etc/profile; which kpsewhich`
>
> RubyMate r6354 running Ruby r1.8.2 (/usr/bin/ruby)
>
> /opt/local/bin/kpsewhich
> no kpsewhich in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin

Hm, this is perplexing me a bit. You mean that "puts `which
kpsewhich`" finds the kpsewhich binary, but "puts `. /etc/profile;
which kpsewhich" doesn't?
Also please run it not using RubyMate, but using the "Execute
Selection as Ruby" command, which is typically bound to ctrl-shift-E,
just to make sure that we are talking about the exact same thing.

Can you also send me the contents of /etc/profile? And
also .bash_profile or any other initialization file that may be in use.
I guess the key question is: How does DarwinPorts add to the PATH
variable? If it was doing it by messing with /etc/profile, then the
above should have worked. Does it use .bash_profile or something like
that?

One simple solution that I can think of is that you create a symbolic
link named /usr/texbin to point to /opt/local/bin, though I'm not
sure if this could cause any other problems.

I suppose we could also add /opt/local/bin to the list of directories
we are explicitly looking for.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College