[TxMt] TextMate & LaTeX via MacPorts

Christopher W. MacMinn cmac at MIT.EDU
Sun Mar 18 17:33:05 UTC 2007

> Hm, this is perplexing me a bit. You mean that "puts `which
> kpsewhich`" finds the kpsewhich binary, but "puts `. /etc/profile;
> which kpsewhich" doesn't?
> Also please run it not using RubyMate, but using the "Execute
> Selection as Ruby" command

Interestingly, I do get different results when I "Execute Selection
as Ruby" rather than just "Run":

no kpsewhich in /usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin
no kpsewhich in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin

> Can you also send me the contents of /etc/profile?

# System-wide .profile for sh(1)

PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
export PATH

if [ "${BASH-no}" != "no" ]; then
	[ -r /etc/bashrc ] && . /etc/bashrc
fi

> And also .bash_profile

No .bash_profile

> or any other initialization file that may be in use.

I have been using ~/.bashrc, which looks like this:

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

Is .bash_profile preferred for some reason?

> I guess the key question is: How does DarwinPorts add to the PATH
> variable?

I think the ~/.bashrc above answers that question.

> One simple solution that I can think of is that you create a
> symbolic link named /usr/texbin to point to /opt/local/bin, though
> I'm not sure if this could cause any other problems.
>
> I suppose we could also add /opt/local/bin to the list of
> directories we are explicitly looking for.

It sounds like TextMate needs to be looking in /opt/local/bin and/or /
opt/local/sbin, but it isn't.

Best
- Chris