Distributed model for bundles (was: [TxMt] Bundle and language help)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sat Aug 4 05:39:21 UTC 2007

On 4. Aug 2007, at 07:12, Ivan Pan wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2007, at 11:00 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>> The solution I am pondering is switching to a distributed version
>> control system (like git or mercurial). This has a few advantages
>> such as allowing people w/o commit access to still do regular
>> commits to the bundle they work on (applied to their local clone
>> of the bundle).
> More information on distributed version control system -- git.
> Linus Torvalds' Google Tech Talk: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?
> v=4XpnKHJAok8>

I was doing something else while watching it, so I only got half of
it, but it seemed mainly focused on telling how great Linus is and
how bad CVS is.

A good short introduction to decentralized version control can be
found here: http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/
UnderstandingMercurial

Fraser Speirs wrote about the git architecture, which may also prove
useful for understanding the model (mercurial and monotone has a
similar underlying architecture): http://speirs.org/2007/07/19/a-
subversion-user-looks-at-git/

> I don't think there will be any conflict of having a svn and a git
> at the same time. We have a subversion server for the default
> bundles that comes with TM, and various git servers for the bundles
> that are not included in the default distribution.

If I adopt a decentralized system, I do not plan to keep the existing
svn server. The idea is to get away from it, even for default bundles.