Distributed model for bundles (was: [TxMt] Bundle and language help)

Ivan Pan ipan at freeshell.org
Sat Aug 4 06:24:56 UTC 2007

On Aug 4, 2007, at 12:39 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> I was doing something else while watching it, so I only got half of
> it, but it seemed mainly focused on telling how great Linus is and
> how bad CVS is.

One of things about video and audio podcast is that you can not
really skip to the point, especially the speakers like to ramble on.
His points were better expressed when people started asking him
questions.

> If I adopt a decentralized system, I do not plan to keep the
> existing svn server. The idea is to get away from it, even for
> default bundles.

I can not remember when Linus started talking the distributed model.
The idea was he collected patch submissions from various developers
that he trusts and he released the kernel source that everyone pulls
from. I would imagine if you do move away from a centralized server,
your bundles, a.k.a. the default ones, would be what majority of us
pulls from. You probably don't need svn servers anymore.

Looking forwards to see how this model will turn out.

ip