[TxMt] GTD vs GTD2 vs GTDalt?

Adam Potthast adamqp at freeminds.net
Mon Oct 16 19:50:03 UTC 2006

Alan,

Mike Mellor should probably respond on behalf of GTD/GTD2, but
sometimes he doesn't get to the list until later, so I can help out a
little.

GTD2 is the new, currently non-working, version of the GTD bundle.
It's adding the ability to change an action item's "state" from
undone to waiting, undone, or other designation.

You can read about the original GTD bundle here:
http://panalaska.org/geek/?p=43
and here:
http://www.panalaska.org/GTD_Stuff/GTD_Intro_Revised.html (though
note that exclusions.gtd should be excluded.gtd)

And the new version of the bundle here:
http://panalaska.org/geek/?p=49

with states described here:
http://patrickrhone.com/journal/archives/2006/05/175.html

What I like about the bundle is its really nice views of the
information, organized by context, then by project.  The file
structure, while not really allowing for sub-projects, is appealing
to me too with every project having its own file -- it can basically
be displayed on screen or in Geektool without any editing.

One thing that it is missing is Quicksilver-inbox-type processing,
but I submitted a script to Mike that does this and he seemed really
interested in pursuing it.

I don't know of a way of converting between kGTD and GTD/2, but the
Geektool export should create a nice file for exporting to a Palm.

I'm sure Mike can give you more up-to-date thinking on where the
bundle is going and what will be included in the future.

Adam