[TxMt] Indent size different from tab size

Nick Sieger nicksieger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 14:37:56 UTC 2006

On 10/27/06, James Milne <james.milne at mac.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working a lot with source code written using Emacs on Linux. The
> prevailing convention is that tabs are presented as 8 spaces, but
> indents are only 4 spaces. Indenting will insert spaces, and Emacs
> seems to swap groups of 8 spaces for a tab.
> Is there any way to do this with TextMate at the moment?

Not mentioned so far is that you're probably best off setting tabsize to 8,
converting all tabs to spaces, and then switching back to 4-space soft-tabs.

I have seen that type of tab encoding before as well, but any emacs hacker
worth her salt [1] uses "(setq indent-tabs-mode nil)".

/Nick

[1] http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html