[TxMt] Indent size different from tab size

James Milne james.milne at mac.com
Thu Nov 9 15:06:14 UTC 2006

On 9 Nov 2006, at 14:37, Nick Sieger wrote:
> On 10/27/06, James Milne <james.milne at mac.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working a lot with source code written using Emacs on Linux. The
> prevailing convention is that tabs are presented as 8 spaces, but
> indents are only 4 spaces. Indenting will insert spaces, and Emacs
> seems to swap groups of 8 spaces for a tab.
> Is there any way to do this with TextMate at the moment?
>
> Not mentioned so far is that you're probably best off setting
> tabsize to 8, converting all tabs to spaces, and then switching
> back to 4-space soft-tabs.
>
> I have seen that type of tab encoding before as well, but any emacs
> hacker worth her salt [1] uses "(setq indent-tabs-mode nil)".

Sadly I'm going to get short shrift informing my emacs hackers that
they have to change their coding style just to suit my choice of
editor :-)

Also, I don't want to change the whitespace in these files, as it
means I'm touching every line in the source file. This makes my diff
more complicated when I check back into CVS. When someone else has to
resolve conflicts with their merges they would find I had changed
every single line in the file, most of which is just replacing tabs
with spaces. Again, not going to be very popular :-)

It's the only usability niggle I have with TextMate. I keep learning
more funky keyboard shortcuts every day which make it a great
environment otherwise!

--
Kind regards,
James Milne