[TxMt] How Long Must We Wait for CVS Support?

Eric O'Brien ericob at possibilityengine.com
Mon Jun 26 21:58:56 UTC 2006

I'm not a programmer, just using TextMate and Subversion to work on a
couple of tiny web sites.  So I may well be missing some things here.

Is this sort of a discussion about where a "text editor" ends and an
IDE begins?  That is, is it about to what extent should version or
source control, or remote file transfer (etc.) be "built in" to a
text editor?  When does the product cease being purely a text
editor?  (Maybe TextMate has already crossed the line!)

I'm smoothly working on TextMate projects that are Working Copies
checked out of a Subversion repository.  From within TextMate I can,
with a keystroke. commit a file or files back to the repository or
issue numerous other SVN commands.  If I knew enough about what I was
seeing, I could modify the svn bundle if I wanted to.  Here, access
to svn is *very* close at hand.  I don't see the benefit of expending
energy to writing a "built-in" svn client when access to an
*existing* client

When I want a visual svn client, I use svnX.  For me, that works fine
(and saves me the trouble of trying to memorize commands I rarely use).

As to the comments "almost every file is edited online" and "Editing
over the network" ... this type of description has been used before
and I don't get it.  It's not possible (is it?) to edit or view a
file unless it's accessible on the local filesystem.  If I check out
a working copy from a remote repository a *copy* is made locally.
Any edits I do are done locally.  When I commit my changes, those
changes are *uploaded* back to the remote repository.  This is not
"Editing over the network."

If I have a sftp session open with Interarchy or Transmit, select a
file in the list and choose "Edit With TextMate," a file opens in
TextMate.  But it is *not* the file that is on the server that has
been opened (right?).  Instead, it's a temporary file that the ftp
client (silently) creates.  When I edit and save, more magic happens
and the local file is (again, silently) uploaded to the server and
replaces the existing one.  It *appears* that I am "editing online"
but technically that's not what's happening.

Or am I all mixed up?  ;)

eo