[TxMt] IDE-style version control (was How Long Must We Wait for CVS Support?)

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Tue Jun 27 03:03:36 UTC 2006

(Let me prefix this by noting that Allan is surely already aware of
the requests for native SFTP, version control UI integration, and
other things mentioned in this thread, because he's said so -- in
some cases multiple times -- on this very mailing list.)

> Here, access to svn is *very* close at hand.  I don't see the
> benefit of expending energy to writing a "built-in" svn client when
> access to an *existing* client

Try this: In TM's project drawer, in a project checked into
Subversion, rename any file.

Result: you've just broken your Subversion working copy, because
Subversion was not consulted about the name change. Renaming the file
back will fix it, of course, but you get the idea. That's the level
of integration we're missing: the 'oh, TextMate *understands*
Subversion' experience, as opposed to 'TextMate supports
Subversion' (or Xcode's wacky 'dude, where's my SCM status?' shell
game). It requires a level of plugin support TextMate doesn't provide
yet.

To be clear, I am _not_ criticizing TextMate's development history.
Quite the opposite: I'm happy with where TM is and where it seems to
be headed. Well-architected code takes time. If TM already had some
of the features under discussion here, there'd be other features
missing that are more central to TM's mission, like, say, snippets.

Bottom line: the SVN bundle is not shabby at all, but there is
certainly more that could be done to *integrate* Subversion (or CVS,
or Mercurial,...), given future potential support from the TM core
app. (There are also more commands to be implemented, but that's
another thread...)

Chris
(creator/co-author of the Subversion bundle)