[OT] Re: [TxMt] site with textmate

Ollivier Robert roberto+textmate at keltia.freenix.fr
Thu Jul 6 21:58:03 UTC 2006

According to Alain Matthes:
>   font-family:                            "Comic sans MS",
>                                             Loma,
>                                             FreeSans,
>                                             "Nimbus Sans L",
>                                             verdana,
>                                             arial,
>                                             helvetica,
>                                             sans-serif;
>
> 1) i like this font

That's a good reason to use it but as your site is meant to be read, you
may want to choose a font more suited to reading (which MS Comic Sans,
being a /comic/ -- the author's own words -- font, is definitely not).

> 2) If you have this font on your mac, and if you don't like it, you
> make a mistake !!

No, Apple choose to include it in OS X and I choose not to delete any
system font.

> J'ai posé la question à de nombreux linuxiens qui n'ont pas été
> dérangés par mon choix de fontes mais je veux bien des conseils car
> je me suis posé de nombreuses questions pour faire  quelque chose de
> compatible os X, linux et win car beaucoup d'enseignants se servent
> encore malheureusement de win pour bosser sur leur pc.

[I will stay in English, sorry Alain]

If you want something that is available on all platforms _and_ stay
readable, pick a font that is not a comic one like Arial/Helvetica (for
sans serif) or Times New Roman (as boring this font can be) as a serif one.

Equivalent exist for all of these for Linux/FreeBSD.

Setting aside personal preferences, any comic font is unsuited for anything
else than headings as they are generally harder on the eyes for reading for
any long period of time.

Typography generally advise on using serif fonts for plain text and sans
serif ones for headings.  It is less of an issue for online reading (and
I'm using Trebuchet MS myself for page bodies) IMHO.

See my own site http://new.keltia.net/ for a very plain HTML site but one I
consider quite readable IMVHO.

But as we say in French

	Chacun ses goûts

:-)

</OT>
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
Darwin snuadh.freenix.org Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30 20:11:17 PST 2005