[OT] Re: [TxMt] site with textmate

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Fri Jul 7 04:00:56 UTC 2006

On 6/7/2006, at 23:58, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> [...] Typography generally advise on using serif fonts for plain
> text and sans
> serif ones for headings.  It is less of an issue for online reading
> [...]

Reading happens by “jumping” from place to place on the line (I
believe there is a technical term for these movements) and the eye
will fixate shortly on each location visited (sometimes a regressing
will happen.) I.e. it’s not one continuous motion from left to right
(as it feels like) but instead “snapshots” of segments of the line.

So my take on this is that the serifs are there as visual cues to
help the jumps happen faster (because of less cognitive overhead) and/
or help with orientation after each jump, as the serifs make the line
more explicit.

For online reading the resolution tends to be too low for the serifs
to do their job, and instead they introduce noise [1] making the
reading process harder instead of easier -- for larger text this is
not the case, but for that the serifs are not useful (so it doesn’t
matter what you choose here.)

So I’d say the serif/sans serif advice for text/heading in typography
should be reversed for online reading -- the advice (about making
them distinct) is btw for aesthetic reasons, as we (people) like
contrast, and mixing serif/sans serif gives that clear contrast as
opposed to e.g. using another serif font for headings, which would
often just give a feel of “there is something wrong with the type
when used in the headings” instead of making the headings (more)
visually distinct.

I know however that there are actually people who like serif fonts
for online reading, so I guess it does to some degree boil down to
personal preference.

As for Comic Sans: in addition to not be crafted for optimal reading
efficiency (but instead for comic bubbles) “serious people” (like
myself :) ) generally associate it with amateurish content, since
it’s often the first choice when someone needs to make an invitation
or similar look more personal -- so on that ground alone I would stay
the hell away from this type ;)

[1] There are some semi-serif fonts specially crafted for online
reading which are generally good. The problem is really using types
created for print on a monitor, and most of those classic serif fonts
are made for print.