FTP client (was .. RE: [TxMt] Re: Bare Bones [was: Public to-do list for TM (was: TextileBundle?)

Fred B. fredb7 at starflam.com
Thu Mar 24 13:59:36 UTC 2005

On 24 mars 05, at 10:46, Mark Smith wrote:

> Eric Hsu wrote:
>
>> The thing that's not clear to me is what functionality people want
>> that you don't get from, say, Fugu or Cyberduck using TM as an
>> external editor.  That handles editing on other sites just fine.
>>
>> It sounds like some people want to mount an entire external folder as
>> a project?  That is clearly out of reach of bundle writing.
>
> My guess is also that its not so much remote editing of files per se
> that folks are seeking here. (Since there are a variety of adequate
> means for doing that already), but analogous to Eric's notion, its
> "site editing" that people are looking for and this would indeed be
> along the lines of having a remote mount available as a project. Right
> ?
>
> Even so, it appears to me that using Transmit, Fugu, RBrowser or
> Interarchy with TextMate as external editor can provide this already.
>
> Can somebody provide a detailed scenario of how this should work
> better/differently if it was all done within TextMate ? (genuine
> interest)
>
> mark.

Again, to make it clear, if I'd have to vote on an (S)FTP integration,
I'd vote against it, Transmit, Fugu, Interarchy, etc. are ok for me.
But I'd love to be able to make a "remote project", or even better: to
include remote and local files in a project.
Why?
Because:
It's easier to have a drawer opened than 7 windows.
I could use diff on those files.
I could use "find in project".
Because of all the other project's niceties: Tabs, etc.
Etc, etc.

Now, I don't know if this would implies  an (S)FTP integration or not.
I think it's better to keep things separated...