[TxMt] Rectangular selections paste badly

Drew McLellan lists at allinthehead.com
Thu Oct 28 18:52:05 UTC 2004

Sune Foldager wrote:
> On 28. okt 2004, at 11:44, Drew McLellan wrote:
>
>> I just make a rectangular selection of a column about 20 lines long,
>> and copied it to the clipboard.
>>
>> Pasting this further down the document failed to create the extra
>> space needed for the code being pasted, and effectively 'merged' the
>> pasted code with the existing code following the insertion point.
>>
>> Hard to explain. Will screen shot the steps if necessary.
>
> I think I know what you mean... pasting columnar selections, will paste
> it back the same way producing the merge you are talking about. This is
> on purpose and by design however. If you really need the extra space you
> will need to press enter a bit yourself beforehand. I suppose it could
> be useful in some circumstances with a paste that forced TM to ignore
> that it is in columnar mode.

I see - "broken by design"  :)

I can see how this special paste mode could be very useful, but I don't
think it should be the default. Everyone is familiar with how paste
works - the code is placed at the insertion point, displacing everything
that comes after it.

This cool merge paste trick should be some kind of "special paste".

I like it though!

drew.