[TextMate] Wrap column problem(s)

Luc Heinrich lucsky at mac.com
Wed Oct 13 20:15:43 UTC 2004

Yo,

I was playing with TM, trying to find some nits to pick and found the
"View -> Wrap Column -> Other" thingy :)

The default wrap width is at 78, and I usually use 80, so I went to
change this and selected the previously mentioned menu item. I was
expecting some sort of dialog or sheet, but saw nothing. Worse, the
'View' menu was still highlighted so I immediately thought that
something wrong was happening and/or that TM was stuck or about to
crash. When something like this happens in an application, I have this
pavlovian habit to agitate the mouse a bit to see if the spinning pizza
of death shows up, before I just kill the app. But this time it helped
to see that, oooooh, something was actually hapenning IN the current
text window: setting the wrap width is done using an "in-place
interactive bar"...

I see three usability problems with this:

- The obvious one, which I mentioned in my (unnecessary verbose)
introduction is that unless you already know how it works, you have no
freakin' clue what happens after you select the "Other" menu item.

- You can't modify the wrap width when no window is open.

- And now try that in a window using one of those syntax which have the
infamous black background, and see how far the confusion can get... :>

Sorry, I'm a natural born nitpicker ;)

--
Luc Heinrich - lucsky at mac.com - http://www.honk-honk.com