[TxMt] Preventing new blank document

Justin French justin.french at indent.com.au
Sat Nov 13 13:51:41 UTC 2004

On 13/11/2004, at 6:47 PM, Michael A. Alderete wrote:

> Well, what can I say. BBEdit doesn't do this, Word doesn't do this,
> FileMaker doesn't do this, Preview doesn't do this. TextMate does, and
> it's
> annoying.
>
> It certainly makes sense for *some* applications to do this. iTunes.
> iCal.
> System Preferences. Probably a web browser (Safari and Firefox both do
> it).
>
> But it also plainly *doesn't* make sense for *every* application to do
> this. And there are *lots* of examples of applications which do not.
> I'll
> bet I could come up with 50 just going through my /Applications folder.
> I'll bet I could come up with 5 other text editors for Mac OS X
> (BBEdit, by
> preference; skEdit, by default; SubEthaEdit, by preference -- just to
> start).
>
> Anyway, FWIW, I find the current behavior irritating, and wish it would
> stop. Sometimes I just want to open something, not create something
> new.
> Having to close a blank document first is just annoying.

Michael,

Allan is trying to follow the Apple HIG to the letter, and is doing a
great job.  Just because Application X breaks those guidelines isn't a
reason for TM to.  FWIW, BBEdit provides a preference, and Preview is a
viewer, not a document creator.

Yes, I agree TM should probably provide a preference, but there's no
doubt that it's behaving as Apple intended right now, so complain to
Apple, no Allan.

*Request* the preference to Allan, sure, but don't bitch about it eh?

Justin