[SVN] r8505 (JSON)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Sat Nov 24 22:58:41 UTC 2007

On 24 Nov 2007, at 21:19, Michael Sheets wrote:

>> Probably this should be ⌃⇧H, which is what we normally use for
>> pretty print / tidy.
>
> Actually I was looking over this last night when I was committing
> the Javascript patch. Seems ⌃⇧H is only used by the Tidy command
> for pretty print.
>
> The other uses are some secondary form of help when ⌃H is taken, or
> converting documents to another format.

Yes, we have sort of made “convert to different format”, “pretty
print”, and “tidy” be the same thing (by using ⌃⇧H).

The line is also a little thin, e.g. Markdown → HTML (Convert to
HTML) versus broken HTML without paragraph tags → Valid HTML (Tidy)
and XML Property List → Old-style ASCII (Convert) versus a pretty
print…

> As help is becoming more common in bundles we've been stumbling on
> the use of needing both ⌃H and ⌃⇧H for help; we might even want
> to move convert to something else dunno.

Hmm… the case for secondary help is rare, no?

I frequently use ⌃⇧H in several modes (binary plist, XML plist,
Markdown, rarely in HTML), I don’t think I ever use it in a context
where it means help.

> The keys that seems to be used for reformat/beautify seem to be ⌃Q
> for either reformatting a block or such. Also seems to tie in well
> with ⌃⌥Q for compressing code. Downside is that it only works for
> source scopes  really because the built in ⌃Q/⌃⇧Q are useful in
> text.

Yeah, ⌃Q is nice when it refers to just the current small context,
like an Objective-C method, a paragraph in Mail or similar, but really
bad for the full scope.