[SVN] r5402 (GTD2)

Mike Mellor alaskamike at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 02:07:27 UTC 2006

On Oct 8, 2006, at 4:28 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 9. Oct 2006, at 00:17, Mike Mellor wrote:
>
>> Well, there are several GTD type bundles (GTD, AltGTD, Journal and
>> now GTD2),
>
> And it is not clear what the difference is between GTD, GTD2, and
> AltGTD -- these are not exactly officially established styles of
> GTD’ing.

GTD and GTD2 are mine, and follow pretty much the same concepts.
AltGTD was developed by Haris, and is distinct from the GTD bundle.
As far as "officially established styles of GTD'ing", I don't think
are there are any hard and fast styles.  The concepts of projects,
contexts, priorities, etc. aren't hard and fast rules.  The GTD2
bundle takes the project and context concepts used in the GTD bundle
and introduces a "metadata markup system" based on Patrick Rhone's
articles on GTD.  It looks similar to the original bundle, but the
commands work very differently (to me at least).

> I generally try not to interfere too much with the various bundles,
> but having 3 bundles for basically the same task is not something I
> like. And that “2” added to various bundle items, well, that gives
> associations of the author not really considering how to make it
> easier for the user, but just slapping “2” on the additional items
> which are sort of like existing ones, but not quite.

That was laziness on my part - I reused a lot of base code, and the
x2 name kept the bundles together in the bundle editor.

> Sure, we want choice, and we want to allow users to customize, but
> by default we want to offer simplicity, we do not want users having
> to choose between things they don’t know about (like, should I
> spend time learning the GTD, GTD2, or GTDAlt bundle).

I doubt that you'll find common ground, at least between GTD(2) and
GTDAlt.  They are very different implementations of a theme.

> Adding to that, we also do not want to present them with too many
> actions at once. The GTD2 bundle presents 11 items in its main menu
> without separators or any grouping. So are these 11 items of equal
> importance and all belong to the same group of actions? Present a
> user with 11 ungrouped actions and he will remember none, but give
> him just a few carefully chosen actions, and there is a chance he
> will remember to use them.

I agree, but I don't remember how to split them out.  I will try and
work on that.

> But back to the issue of multiple bundles: this new GTD2 bundle is
> a new iteration of the old? Then let it replace the old! People can
> still checkout the old version (feel free to tag it in the
> repository) -- but if people really find the old one “better” then
> maybe GTD2 needs some improvements.

I think that would work, but how hard is it for a user to get at an
older version in subversion?  I'd hate to update my TM bundles one
morning and find that all of my files no longer worked.  What I think
would work (for me) would be to keep them separate for a couple of
weeks and then merge the projects, based on user feedback.  Does that
work?

Mike