[SVN] r5402 (GTD2)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Mon Oct 9 00:28:41 UTC 2006

On 9. Oct 2006, at 00:17, Mike Mellor wrote:

> Well, there are several GTD type bundles (GTD, AltGTD, Journal and
> now GTD2),

And it is not clear what the difference is between GTD, GTD2, and
AltGTD -- these are not exactly officially established styles of
GTD’ing.

I generally try not to interfere too much with the various bundles,
but having 3 bundles for basically the same task is not something I
like. And that “2” added to various bundle items, well, that gives
associations of the author not really considering how to make it
easier for the user, but just slapping “2” on the additional items
which are sort of like existing ones, but not quite.

Sure, we want choice, and we want to allow users to customize, but by
default we want to offer simplicity, we do not want users having to
choose between things they don’t know about (like, should I spend
time learning the GTD, GTD2, or GTDAlt bundle).

Adding to that, we also do not want to present them with too many
actions at once. The GTD2 bundle presents 11 items in its main menu
without separators or any grouping. So are these 11 items of equal
importance and all belong to the same group of actions? Present a
user with 11 ungrouped actions and he will remember none, but give
him just a few carefully chosen actions, and there is a chance he
will remember to use them.

But back to the issue of multiple bundles: this new GTD2 bundle is a
new iteration of the old? Then let it replace the old! People can
still checkout the old version (feel free to tag it in the
repository) -- but if people really find the old one “better” then
maybe GTD2 needs some improvements.