[SVN] LaTeX bundle issues...

Brad Miller bonelake at mac.com
Sat May 14 13:19:41 UTC 2005

I recall Allan encouraging someone to go ahead and change the
behavior of the PDFLaTeX command a while back.  I think it was done
as a proof of concept or something.

I really like the combination of pdflatex and Texniscope.  Texniscope
is smart and automatically reloads the pdf when its changed.  The
pdfsync feature (cmd-click on word in Texniscope and it brings you
back to TextMate at the right place in the source) is a huge time
saver when proof reading and editing a document. I also put in a
couple hours making a robust error/warning parser that I use with
this combo.  It captures both errors and warnings, and it works with
multi-file latex projects.

Anyway, it would be nice if we could somehow generalize the LaTeX
bundle so that each user's personal preference in previewers didn't
spawn a whole new set of commands.

The steps all seem pretty close:

1. Run {pdf}latex on the current file or TM_LATEX_MASTER
     -  parse output to capture errors and warnings
     -  display output as html or in output window

2. If necessary convert dvi to pdf

3. Bring up the resulting pdf file in a previewer

I think the reason that the PDFLaTeX command uses apache is so that
warning message links are actually working yes?  Do people have
strong feelings one way or the other about using an html window
versus a regular ouput window for displaying (clickable) error
messages?  To me, the Apache route is a very expensive route to go
when the "Show in Separate Window" method works just fine.  If we can
agree on:

1.  Always run latex in the project directory so that aux/log files
are generated and persist in place.
2.  Use either html or separate window to display error messages, but
not both.

Then I think we could quickly move to a set of environment variables
and maybe a single command to run latex and show a preview.

Brad