[TxMt] Re: textmate Digest, Vol 17, Issue 21

Donna Calhoun donna.calhoun at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 14:15:52 UTC 2009

>> 2.  Characters beyond column 72 should be identified, either with a
>> different color or different font.
>

> This one, at least, is very easy and is not language-specific. First,
> go into Preferences. In the General settings, check "Show right margin
> indicator" and "Highlight right margin". Next go into the View menu
> and set "Wrap Column" to 72. Make sure that "Soft Wrap" is *not*
> checked. The result is that you'll get a thin line between columns 72
> and 73, and all columns past 72 will have a shaded background.
>
> As for the rest, I'm afraid I can't help you. I'm quite happy to say
> that I haven't touched F77 (or any other FORTRAN dialect, for that
> matter) in almost 25 years now. Back when punchcards were only
> slightly outdated.  :-)

Okay! This is a start.  I'll give it a try.

As for f77 being not exactly modern, here are a few words in its
defense, and to encourage
its support :

* F77 is still widely used in scientific computing, often as an 'under
the hood' machine-like
language for computations on grids.  It plays very well with C++
(unlike f90) and so remains
the fast language of choice for heavy computations on structured arrays.

* It is much easier to use than C++ for students, and certainly faster
than programs written purely
in Matlab.  While C++ allows for necessary high level data structures,
many algorithms
that form the basis for much of numerical analysis are most easily
described in a fortran/matlab
like syntax.

* What is not to love about a language that doesn't have pointers?

Okay, nuff said.  Thanks again.

Donna Calhoun
donna.calhoun at gmail.com