[TxMt] opening a file readonly

Steven.Klass at smsc.com Steven.Klass at smsc.com
Thu Jul 19 16:03:12 UTC 2007

I would like to see a couple of preferences show up in the Tiger version.

- Abide RW permissions on files
- Open files by default Read-Only

The first one is so if a file is read only (like under revision control)
this is preserved.
The second one so if managers like to review code they don't mess up
developers code.

---

Steven M. Klass

Strategic Manager, Design Automation - Analog Mixed Signal

SMSC
3930 East Ray Road, Suite 200
Phoenix, Arizona 85044
(480) 704-7046 (Desk)
(480) 225-1112 (Mobile)
steven.klass at smsc.com

Ian Smith-Dahl <isd at strangetower.com>
Sent by: textmate-bounces at lists.macromates.com
07/19/07 08:45 AM
Please respond to
TextMate users <textmate at lists.macromates.com>

TextMate users <textmate at lists.macromates.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [TxMt] opening a file readonly

On Jul 19, 2007, at 11:11 AM, Mat Schaffer wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2007, at 10:51 AM, Ian Smith-Dahl wrote:
>> I use it pretty extensively when searching for the use of specific
>> variables in a huge Java codebase.    Even though I rarely make
>> edits to the code base (I'm mostly responsible for the graphic
>> skins), I haven't found any tool better than TextMate's ability to
>> dynamically create projects by opening file folders (and so to
>> specify scope specifically for one search) and then quickly
>> pinpoint lines of code using Find in Project.
>>
>> Is there a better tool for that?
>
> grep and find are pretty good in conjunction for that sort of thing:
>
> grep -l <search term> `find <starting directory> -name *.java`

Thanks, Mat.    That's definitely another way to do it... but I don't
think it's better.     Since textmate jumps me to the line while
showing me the whole docco, I have a lot more freedom to explore the
context.    I can even execute finds in the docco I'm looking at,
while preserving the results of the find in the project.   Plus, I
get highlighting and folding (as mentioned by Andy).    Grep (and
doxygen) are definitely powerful for what they do, but what they do
is filter out matches.   I don't necessarily want the filter, I just
want the find.

I personally don't have any problems with not making edits, but I
wanted to back up the original poster that Textmate is a great browse-
only tool.

For new threads USE THIS: textmate at lists.macromates.com
(threading gets destroyed and the universe will collapse if you don't)