[TxMt] opening a file readonly

Jay Soffian jay-txmt at soffian.org
Thu Jul 19 15:18:19 UTC 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 10:57 AM, Ian Smith-Dahl wrote:

> I use it pretty extensively when searching for the use of specific
> variables in a huge Java codebase.    Even though I rarely make
> edits to the code base (I'm mostly responsible for the graphic
> skins), I haven't found any tool better than TextMate's ability to
> dynamically create projects by opening file folders (and so to
> specify scope specifically for one search) and then quickly
> pinpoint lines of code using Find in Project.
>
> Is there a better tool for that?

Doxygen?

Presumably the code base you're viewing is in a revision control
system. It's generally not the editor's job to prevent you from
making accidental edits. For that the filesystem has permissions and
ACLs. That being said, vi/vim does have view/vim -R and I don't
disagree that an "open read-only" mode wouldn't be useful. But it's
probably at the absolute bottom of my feature request list. :-)

j.