[TxMt] opening a file readonly

Ian Smith-Dahl isd at strangetower.com
Thu Jul 19 15:44:42 UTC 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 11:11 AM, Mat Schaffer wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2007, at 10:51 AM, Ian Smith-Dahl wrote:
>> I use it pretty extensively when searching for the use of specific
>> variables in a huge Java codebase.    Even though I rarely make
>> edits to the code base (I'm mostly responsible for the graphic
>> skins), I haven't found any tool better than TextMate's ability to
>> dynamically create projects by opening file folders (and so to
>> specify scope specifically for one search) and then quickly
>> pinpoint lines of code using Find in Project.
>>
>> Is there a better tool for that?
>
> grep and find are pretty good in conjunction for that sort of thing:
>
> grep -l <search term> `find <starting directory> -name *.java`

Thanks, Mat.    That's definitely another way to do it... but I don't
think it's better.     Since textmate jumps me to the line while
showing me the whole docco, I have a lot more freedom to explore the
context.    I can even execute finds in the docco I'm looking at,
while preserving the results of the find in the project.   Plus, I
get highlighting and folding (as mentioned by Andy).    Grep (and
doxygen) are definitely powerful for what they do, but what they do
is filter out matches.   I don't necessarily want the filter, I just
want the find.

I personally don't have any problems with not making edits, but I
wanted to back up the original poster that Textmate is a great browse-
only tool.