[TxMt] files in project view

Graham Ashton graham.ashton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 08:42:12 UTC 2007

On 02/07/07, Cliff Pruitt <lists.cpruitt at cliffpruitt.com> wrote:

> TextMate needs to re-scan your project directory before it will show
> changes.  This usually just means switching to another application and
> back to trigger the re-scan (TM scans when the App regains focus).

I use TextMate on a Mac Mini, editing files on an NFS mounted
filesystem. It works superbly.

The NFS server is sat on the same LAN segment, and it recognises new
files in the way that you describe, but it does sometimes take a
couple of focus/unfocus/focus cycles for files to appear.

> I've never liked working with projects over the network.  I find it
> much easier (and faster) to keep a local copy of my project and just
> FTP the changes over.

I've never understood how people can put up with ftp-ing every little
change. Is there a way to automate it so you don't have to press any
buttons to make it happen?

If it requires a manual "ftp-it-now" thought/action then it's a pain
in the ass. I find that NFS works great (to the extent that I don't
realise that it's not local). I'd find it far less smooth if my
project was enormous as TextMate can pause slightly when you re-focus
the window (though this can be alleviated by only adding the
directories that you need to edit to your project). It would obviously
be worse if I had much less bandwidth between me and the NFS server.

> you're using Apache/MySQL/ PHP anyway, why not just run it locally on
> your mac & then push out the changes when you're satisfied?

You can't beat running your tests in a realistic environment before
you check in; that means same the OS (and installed apps/libraries) as
the servers that you deploy to.

I can't speak for Tony, but running the app locally isn't an option
for me because the PHP/MySQL/Apache app that I'm working with has some
other external dependencies that only run on Linux. And I think my
Mini would run out of memory and run like treacle.